Our understanding of the etiology and management of knee osteoarthritis (OA) is quickly evolving. This 7,5-hour online course on knee osteoarthritis assessment and treatment will debunk common knee osteoarthritis myths, provide clinicians with a detailed overview of the complex etiology of knee osteoarthritis, and provide recommendations for the assessment and treatment of knee osteoarthritis according to best practice guidelines.
The Knee Osteoarthritis Assessment & Management Online Course includes:
- 7.5 hours of educational content: 6.25 hours of video lectures and 1.25 hours of other educational material (quizzes, readings, etc.)
- A Certificate of Completion upon completion of this online course
- A document with sample exercises for patients with knee osteoarthritis
- More than 400 presentation slides with tons of evidence-based recommendations to help optimize your clinical assessment, treatment and plan of care
- A comprehensive list of references (200+ peer-reviewed articles)
* You can view the online course whenever you want, there is no deadline for completion.
* Within a maximum of 24 business hours following your purchase (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday to Friday), you will receive all necessary information by email to view the course.
More specifically, by the end of this 4-hour online course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the complex, multifactorial nature of knee osteoarthritis and its clinical presentation.
- Identify important risk factors for knee osteoarthritis and understand how these risk factors may contribute to the initiation/progression of knee osteoarthritis using different models.
- Understand the different neurophysiological mechanisms involved in the experience of osteoarthritis pain, as well as factors that contribute to the maintenance and exacerbation of osteoarthritis pain.
- Understand the most common differential diagnoses of knee osteoarthritis.
- Screen for and identify red/yellow flags in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
- Understand the importance of psychosocial factors, and their relation to prognosis and outcomes in patients with knee osteoarthritis.
- Integrate evidence-based clinical diagnostic criteria, assessment tools (ex: functional tests) and outcome measures to inform their clinical impression and treatment strategies.
- Understand best-practice recommendations and key principles for the treatment of patients with knee osteoarthritis (i.e. patient education, exercise, weight management, manual therapy, etc.).
- Understand best-practice recommendations for supplements, injection therapies and surgery for patients with knee osteoarthritis.
- Understand best-practice recommendations and key principles for pre-habilitation and post-operative rehabilitation following knee arthroplasty.
- Burden of Osteoarthritis
- Module 2.1: Knee Osteoarthritis Etiology Overview of Risk Factors
- Module 2.2: Risk Factors – Obesity & Previous Knee Joint Injury
- Module 2.3: Risk Factors – Joint loading and alignment, gait biomechanics, knee extensor muscle weakness and occupational risk factors. Prevention of Knee Osteoarthritis
- Module 3.1: Understanding Persistent Pain in OA
- Module 3.2: Knee Osteoarthritis, Imaging & Pain
- Quiz 1 (Modules 1 to 3)
- Clinical Classification Criteria
- Red Flag Screening & Differential Diagnosis
- Module 6.1: Clinical Assessment – Subjective Exam
- Module 6.2: Clinical Assessment – Objective Exam
- Quiz 2 (Modules 4 to 6)
- Module 7.1: Rehabilitation Part 1 – Best Practice Recommendations & Key Principles for Exercise Prescription & Progression
- Module 7.2: Rehabilitation Part 2 – Sample Exercise for Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis
- Module 7.3: Rehabilitation Part 3 – Patient Education & Weight Management
- Module 7.4: Rehabilitation Part 4 – Adjunct Treatments (manual therapy, electrophysiological modalities, assistive devices, etc.)
- Quiz 3 (Modules 6 and 7)
- Best-practice recommendations for supplements, injection therapies and surgery
- Key principles for pre-habilitation and post-operative rehabilitation following knee arthroplasty
- Quiz 4 (Modules 8 and 9)
- Review of Mythbusters
- Take-Home Messages